I hope you have some free time to go though the review of WordPress plugin WordPress File Monitor.
Yesterday one of my friends WordPress website got hacked & he has asked me for assistance in restoring the website to normal. As I was not sure what all are the files modified by the hacker it took so much time in restoring the website back to normal.
It would had been easier to restore If I had a track of all the changes done to the website.So after some research I had come to know of a simple WordPress plugin called WordPress File Monitor & I was impressed by the functionality on the GO.
That is the reason, I had taken some time to Write a review about this AWESOME WordPress Plugin.
Summary : I would like to term File monitor as an security and data integrity tool for your WordPress website.
WordPress File Monitor Monitors your WordPress installation for added/deleted/changed files. Whenever a change is detected the plugin sends you an email alert on the specified address.
Installation & configuration is so simple.After Installing & Activating WordPress File Monitor plugin on your website it keeps on scanning every file hosted on your hosting space.
By default It scans all files/folders hosted on your account for every 30 minutes & keeps you notified when ever it detects a change.It’s much like Tripwire server security software.
I haven’t noticed any excessive usage of server resources while WordPress File Monitor plugin is scanning, so there is no need of worrying about the performance.
WordPress File Monitor Features :
- Monitors your web hosting file system for newly added/deleted/changed files.
- WordPress File Monitor sends an email alert whenever a change is detected
- Changes can also be seen from the Plugin admin in case email is not received.
- WordPress File Monitor has the ability to monitor file changes based on file hash or timestamp
- It also provides an option by which you can exclude some directories from Scan (for example if you use a caching system that stores its files within the monitored zone)
- Website URL included in notification email in case plugin is in use on multi-site setup.
NOTE : Author of this plugin or I haven’t tested the WordPress File Monitor on a multi-site setup , but I believe it does the job for you.
Only point I don’t like is the author not updating the plugin from last 2 years, but believe me this plugin is working perfectly with latest WordPress version 3.5.1.
Conclusion : Must have light Weight WordPress Plugin which can help you in the process of monitoring & securing your WordPress website.
Readers, Have you used this plugin before or let us know if you are using some Other WordPress plugin which performs well than WordPress file Monitor.Do comment on this article about your views